Wednesday 8 August 2012

First Anniversary

Its exactly a year ago today that I started this blog and I’d like to take this opportunity to look back on the past 12 months.

My intention has always been to present lgbt history in a positive light. I think that I have been successful in that. I have also tried to look beyond the usual lgbt themes and write about things that are not often looked at in any great detail (e.g. flowers, flags, stars and family trees). I don’t know if any reader has been inspired to do more research of their own into these subjects but I hope I have made you think about something new.

The original material for this blog came from research I had already done for my tours of lgbt Nottingham and my presentations on lgbt flags and Ancient Greek sport. As I’ve gone along I have found new subjects to write about.

At first I didn’t know if I’d have time to write a blog and fit it around my work. That’s why I’ve always kept it as simple as possible. One year later and I’m thinking of being more adventurous – but give me time.

Another conscious decision from the start was to wait to see how popular the blog became before deciding whether to continue. Even though my blog is only “up and coming” according to some tables of blog success I think there’s enough of you out there to keep on going.

One change I want to make is to get you all involved. If there’s any subject or anniversary coming up next year that you’d like to see mentioned in my blog drop me an email. You’ll get a mention.

If this is your first visit to my blog, WELCOME, I hope you like it. If you’re a regular visitor, many, many THANKS for your interest, you’ve made it all worth while.

So while I celebrate my 1st anniversary with a big fairy cake I’ll drink a toast to you all, and give you a taste of things still to come :

  • the first gay Sheriff of Nottingham
  • Tarzan, Lord Greystoke, and me
  • 12 more Gays of Christmas
  • the meteorite that became a god
  • Jack the Gay Ripper
  • And 2013 – a year of lgbt science and technology

No comments:

Post a Comment